IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Witchy Witch

Big secret has to stay secret … for approximately 12 or 13 more days. Horse before cart and all that ... Shhhhh.

But in the meantime, Monys 100 things post reminded me of something, and must have resonated in a few others, since they commented on it.

Most people (women) at some point in their lives have visited a clairvoyant, tarot card reader ... energy healer ... snake oil charmer.

I always avoided them like the plague ... not sure if I was purely sceptical or too scared to believe they could actually have extraordinary visions.

Except for one time, many years ago a girl I worked with had gone to the, you know, ‘Absolute Best’ in Sydney. Everyone in the office was regaled with the wonderful stories about how her life was going to unfold - wealth, travel abroad, marriage, children ... blah blah. I mean she was already dating a guitarist from a major band, so we were entranced with her everyday-life stories anyway.

Extraordinarily she convinced both myself and my extremely gothic friend to book in and go.

I don’t think either of us had ever done this before, so it was a bit of an adventure. It took some weeks before our appointment, she was ‘that good’.

We walked into her office and her overweight daughter gave us the once over – cursory look to me and bug eyes at my friend.

My turn first. She looked at me in the chest area and pronounced that I’d arrived at myself. I’d traversed all childhood insecurities and was now at the point of being a pretty complete person.

Single at the time, finding out if I’d stay that way was a priority.

‘I see you meeting someone creative – maybe a writer’

Funny, Mr. Sparkle is a writer ...

I’ve really got to find the piece of paper I wrote everything down on. There was a whole bunch of other stuff, maybe me in an import business of my own, cottage by the sea. She gave me names of people that were/should be significant in my life. Most of it didn't make sense, or has never happened.

Anyway, towards the end, she said to me

‘I don’t know if you will have children’

Absolutely stunned, I think I blinked, then gulped, and muttered something like ... ‘well I don’t know if I want any’. I mean I was around 24 or 25 at the time.

Now I wonder, was she for real? Did she really have a true sense of this thing about me. I mean, I am one of the few people I know that have ever been told that. How many times have I heard 'I'm going to have a girl and a boy'? In fact I was so gobsmacked (even at that age), that I don’t think I have ever even told anyone, lest it be true, not even my gothic friend as we left and compared our readings.

Can you imagine how many times these words and that reading have replayed over in my mind in the last 4 years?

I’ve never been to another.

13 Comments:

At September 06, 2006 3:54 pm , Blogger linda said...

Oh yikes that is a freaky tale, but you know...I personally wish that I could find someone who would tell ME if I am ever going to be pregnant so I'd stop spending my life savings on IVF.

So we have to wait nearly two weeks for the surprise!?!?!? Waaa!!!!

 
At September 06, 2006 7:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait that long!

 
At September 07, 2006 3:18 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

12-13 days? Thank goodness! I won't have to miss a thing by going on holiday. ;-)

That is a haunting story, but then again, even if she was just guessing, she would be right pretty often. 1 out of 6 couples have trouble conceiving.

 
At September 07, 2006 7:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a *fortune teller* tell me that I would NOT have children with current husband. This was before I began the IF journey, but still I was totally taken aback. After I left, I pretty much brushed it off and haven't mentioned it to more than 2 or 3 people...but 1 IUI, 3 IVFs and an aborted donor egg cycle later, I really do wonder....as everyone else around me falls preggers. Would have I had success if with another man??

 
At September 07, 2006 10:37 am , Blogger Kris said...

You should know us infertiles are an impatient lot!

As for her comment, I don't buy into that at all. That's the kind of statement that can't ever be wrong. If you had kids straight off and ran into her and told her that, well, she said she didn't know if you'd have them... but it was still a possibility. I think it's just coincidence.

 
At September 07, 2006 1:40 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was told by the tarot reader I go to when I go home to New Orleans that I had the potential to have seven kids. HAH!

Yeah the friggin' potential. Oh and thanks for the joke. :)

 
At September 07, 2006 1:40 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was told by the tarot reader I go to when I go home to New Orleans that I had the potential to have seven kids. HAH!

Yeah the friggin' potential. Oh and thanks for the joke. :)

 
At September 07, 2006 1:41 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, sorry for the double post. I suppose I mentioned I was drinking wine now...

 
At September 07, 2006 3:47 pm , Blogger Mony said...

My fortune was told at the tender age of 20. At the time, I was more intrigued with the "Travel" promises than the "2 children of the same sex" Still, as I mentioned I wrote it down & her phrophecy has resonated hope in the last 4 years especially. I would not be brave enough to return to one again.....you know, incase my future had changed!

Curiousity........what's going on? It's a real stayed tuned feel here at Sparkle!!

 
At September 08, 2006 5:58 am , Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

It is a bit freaky but personally, I don't believe in horoscopes or tarot or clairvoyants. Pay no attention to it.

 
At September 11, 2006 12:22 am , Blogger Angie said...

Best of luck to you!

 
At September 14, 2006 3:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still cross with you for keeping secrets from us!

I don't buy the fortune teller thing. Just think about all the guff she talked about that had no impact on you because it was just clearly wrong. Her hit rate is pretty low. So let's ignore the second potentially pertinent comment for now, hein?

 
At September 15, 2006 4:53 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPARKLE! I have a very similar story. Talked into going to a psychic, all predictions have since come true including husband, profession, and where I'd live...BUT...the children element she was completely wrong. Completely. Take that, bee-ach. Put it out of your head.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home