IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Back from 'Last' Retrieval

Just back: 3 eggs (1 immature)

200% more than 'realistic expectations'.

We're relieved and feel lucky. Must have guilted a couple of follies into a growth spurt :)

The doctor did a 'full flush' retrieval, which is apparently not done frequently. This way he got everything. It didn't feel that different to usual, but more cramping in the uterus - so an extra squirt of the good stuff.

The scientist said she would wait till later today to give the immature egg a chance to catch up - before the ICSI magic. I asked her how far off it was - as in is it even a remote chance? She said that it did have a real possibility.

Once we know fertilisation, the decision will be made - either transfer Friday or go for blast and wait till Monday. Have to say I'm nervous of the prospects of waiting for blast.

If we get 2 eggs fertilised, I'll be happy.

In my drunken state I spoke to the doctor about getting less eggs with this protocol and he said that yes that was normal, but he wouldn't say that they expected them to be better quality.

I said alot of other stupid things under the influence ...

5 Comments:

At August 09, 2006 7:38 pm , Blogger Pamplemousse said...

My last IVF was with a different drug protocol which was supposed to mean better quality but it meant less eggs retrieved and yet again nothing to transfer. It had to be a full flush too and it is giving me all kinds of horrible flashbacks. I had bleeding and bits of tissue for days afterwards. I hope it is all worth it, Sparkle and I am wishing those eggs onwards and upwards.

 
At August 09, 2006 9:40 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Sparkle, cross everything for good fert!

 
At August 10, 2006 1:18 am , Blogger zhl said...

Hope that your two eggs fertilize and grow. Good luck.

 
At August 10, 2006 4:56 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

Well, you've beaten the odds a little bit. I hope you beat them a whole lot in the upcoming days, weeks, months.

 
At August 10, 2006 9:28 am , Blogger Kris said...

Oh, yay- good retrieval news. Hoping for continued good news with the fertilization!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home