IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I've Met Her

You know how you still hold out hope that IVF will work, even when you've hit the single digit percentages? I mean, you reason, it must work for someone or it would simply be a zero.

Well since I've become a mother, I've met someone who validates the stats.

Trying to get pregnant for 18 months without any success. At 43 told to hurry up and do an IVF cycle, since the clinic hadn't gotten anyone pregnant over that age.

One cycle = bfp
Also = 1 blast in the freezer (this clinic, my old clinic, will not freeze unless they think the embryo is going to be viable when thawed)

I stared at her in disbelief.
I mean if there was such a thing as a travelling IF circus - she would be the star attraction right?

'How many cycles did YOU do'? she asked me
'Six' (plus 2 with a donor)
'Wow, I was done with it after one'

Add to that the decision not to do an amnio - 'because the results were irrelevant'. Her baby is without any health issues whatsoever.

I would never have believed it was possible. Now I know different. Jeez it's difficult not to feel hard done by, when you started and finished younger and got no success at all. Nothing. Never even to freeze.

I'm not even sure a story like this serves as hope - it's just too damn unbelievable to me. It's nice to actually meet someone almost to prove the validity of the stat table, because I have to say I wouldn't have believed it possible.

I'll have to suspend my disbelief, because I think in the not-too-distant future she is planning on doing an FET with that blast.

5 Comments:

At October 16, 2008 5:52 am , Blogger Peeveme said...

Wow, It's hard for me not to hate her Also, no amnio? Really? I know it's a personal decision but at 43 the odds are not entirely in your favor. I would want to know so I could plan for a special needs child if need be. Why are the blindly optimistic so rewarded?

 
At October 17, 2008 10:25 am , Blogger Summer said...

Hard for me to believe, too, but like you said those single digit percentages must mean it works for someone and apparently it worked for her.

 
At October 18, 2008 4:43 am , Blogger Knock Me Up said...

I guess "unbelievable" will have to do but damn it seems such an inadequate word. I'm happy for her, of course, I am, but -- sheesh.

 
At October 21, 2008 7:11 pm , Blogger andi said...

Hi there, thanks for your comment on my blog.

Wow - that is an amazing story... what are the odds.

My sister has a friend... who had -20 eggs frozen when she was 40 and at 43 had them 'defrosted' - only four made it - and of those 4 only one became a 'viable'embyro'.

Yes - you know where this story is going - that one is now an eight month old baby boy. And I think she didn't have an amnio either.

Amazing.

 
At November 02, 2008 9:28 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

It is slightly difficult to sympathize, though I sympathize with her more than with your run-of-the-mill no-treatment-required couple.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home