IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

9 Week Scan

Well it seems our embryo wasn’t too impressed with being referred to as a ‘sea creature’.

Just to ensure that description wasn't flung around again, our embryo was facing directly into the camera.

‘Is that little legs?’ I asked as we zoomed in.
‘Yes, those are the legs and these are the arms ...’ the doc was pointing to the limbs on the screen for me ... ‘look at that ... your little baby is moving’ he exclaimed.
‘Oh my goodness’

I stared gobsmacked at the screen.
Leg kicks, arms waving and [big] head nodding and winking.

‘I had no idea they started moving yet’ I said in amazement
‘Isn’t that a beautiful sight?’
‘Looks like a kewpie doll now’

Then the show was over.

‘It’s harder to get an accurate measurement from this side ... but 22.5 and strong steady heartbeat, measuring at exactly 9 weeks’.
‘You have definitely made it into the under 2% risk category now’.

Wow, that’s something.

So now it’s time to scale down the preggy support drugs. Pessaries to drop to one a day until they’re finished and progy*nova to stop in two weeks.

‘Have you booked in for your nuchal translucency, that needs to be done between 11 -13 weeks?’
‘Umm ... No, not exactly ... you see I still have all the infertility-superstition … if I had booked it in before I had this appointment ... I could have been tempting fate’.
‘Well, I’m telling you, it’s okay to book it now’.

All the details were later relayed to Star with a promise that the ultrasound pic would be scanned and sent.

11 Comments:

At February 06, 2007 10:41 am , Blogger Clare said...

OMG Sparkle, this really is awesome news. I couldn't be happier for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a perfect nuchal fold scan and a safe, smooth 31 more weeks until this baby is in your arms.

 
At February 06, 2007 11:13 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! It's so wonderful to see the embryo bopping around in there!

 
At February 06, 2007 11:41 am , Blogger Kris said...

Awesome news! That must have been such a relief to see!

 
At February 06, 2007 1:13 pm , Blogger millie said...

Yay!!!! What good news you got.

 
At February 06, 2007 4:19 pm , Blogger KikayC said...

tell me about tempting fate. I haven't done any baby shopping.

Congrats on the awesome scan. Such wonderful news to see the baby move and kick.

 
At February 06, 2007 7:25 pm , Blogger Thalia said...

I'm so delighted, it's such wonderful news. Long may it continue.

 
At February 07, 2007 5:13 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

I had to google Kewpie doll, but cute!

I'm so glad you had another encouraging appointment.

Though I consider myself a rational person, I know what you mean about tempting fate. I cringe when I even think about when my beta might be, if we make it to transfer. Sigh.

 
At February 07, 2007 7:15 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was in the same boat as you this time last year; 6 icsi cycles and then donor eggs [from my sister]. I was finally pregnant - and paranoid! I didn't relax until 30 weeks. In a funny way I feel lucky that my first 6 cycles failed, because from this special egg, we have ended up with the most gorgeous, lovable daughter. I wouldn't change her for anything.

 
At February 07, 2007 9:23 am , Blogger Carol said...

Wonderful news!! Very happy for you!!

 
At February 07, 2007 2:32 pm , Blogger JW said...

Yay Sparkle, thats great news. It must have been a BEAUTIFUL sight!!

 
At February 08, 2007 12:37 pm , Blogger Summer said...

There's been so much good news around the IF blogosphere these days. I'm so glad you're a part of all the goody-goodness! So happy for you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home