IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

You're Having A Baby?!

So I finally told work my news.

I didn’t get the predicted response. I had been told to expect that most people would say they suspected as much.

Quite the opposite in my case.

‘Are you serious?’
‘I had no idea’
‘4 months, you’re kidding!’
‘I sit next to you, and I haven’t noticed anything’

Interesting isn’t it?

‘Maybe because you’ve been through so much IVF, you’re used to the tiredness and dealing with it at work, you didn’t seem any different’ Good friend Flossy said.

Well maybe.

Of course now, 2 days later, EVERYONE is telling me that they can now tell!

‘What are you going to do, are you going to come back or not?' my boss asked.
‘Sorry to be vague, but the truth is, I really don’t know, at the very least I’ll be taking 6 months off ... the very least’.
My work entitlements mean that I get paid 3 months + my leave entitlements, and my job will be held for me for a year. A contractor will be found for this time.
My boss is okay with this, his wife was a driven career woman, once she had her first child she decided she wanted to stay home.

It’s not something I can really think about right now, I just don’t know how I’ll feel. Economics may mean I have to go back. Deciding that we want to try for another baby may also determine what I do. How is it that some women know exactly what they’re going to do, maybe everything else has gone to plan in their lives?

Today was also the day of my second visit to my Ob. I got a shock. I’ve put on over 2 kilos since my last visit.

I was shocked because I still fit all my usual clothes.

My appointment was after lunch, so I had downed a huge fruit smoothie on my way, and in fact was dying to go to the loo. I’m hoping there was a lot of water weight.

‘Try not to put too much weight on in the first 20 weeks’ my Ob advised.
He also advised that he wasn’t worried about me at this point since when women put on too much weight it goes mainly on thighs and backside and since I’m still easily fitting my jeans that hasn’t happened.

Next visit is first thing in the morning AND I’m taking my shoes off.

Other than that shock, it was great to hear the heartbeat again – found straight away this time.

Weird size comparison this week (17) a large onion!

Morphology scan has been booked for the 16th April.

2 Comments:

At April 06, 2007 4:10 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

The work reactions are interesting.
I particularly like 'are you serious?'. If only they knew.

Good to hear you have some liberty in deciding whether to go back and when.

I'm measuring my weight gain by the feel of my pants too. So far, I still have some margin. I wonder if there'll be a surprise in store for me too at the next weigh-in.

 
At April 06, 2007 11:35 am , Blogger Kris said...

"Are you serious?" I just got asked a similar question, though relating to my IF. Who is going around telling jokes about this stuff?

I'm so excited to hear you are "out" at work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home