IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not Hiding

Gawd how awful, I feel like a cliché.

My recent absence from blogging doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that I’ve had a successful cycle, but more to do with the fact that ‘The City just had a week at ‘The Beach, and on returning home, found that our internet had been cut off.

In the intervening weeks – we have progressed – strangely in my opinion – from a ‘jumbo shrimp’ – to a lemon. Maybe I just haven’t seen a jumbo shrimp, since we have what we call King Prawns around here, and that’s a strange turn in development in my view.

So we’ve arrived at a lemon. A very well hidden lemon in fact, since I look ... well ... kind of normal and not pregnant

In turns out that the women in my family only really start showing around 5 months. Goody I thought, maybe I won’t have to tell people till then ... people like ‘work’.

Last week I had my first meeting with our Obstetrician. I liked him, just my kind of doctor – older, experienced and very steady.

‘I’m currently seeing 5 other women pregnant through donor eggs’ he told me.

Great, now I like him even more.

He took my family history, weighed me, then got out the ‘doppler’ ... yikes.
Of course we didn’t hear anything straight away, that would be what happens to normal women.

‘It takes a little while to find it, because you’re still small’
Then amid the swishing watery sounds ... we heard the steady and regular ‘Chooo ... Chooo ... Chooo ‘
‘We have a baby!’
[Phew I thought, it’s been two weeks since my last ultrasound]

‘So this’ he said showing me a folded cardboard form ‘is what you carry around everywhere, this is your pregnancy log, you bring it with you everytime you come here, and take it if you ever go to the doctor’
‘Right’ [goodness it’s an official document]

So I checked in on a couple of other things – hospital (taken care of when I get to 20 weeks), did Mr. S need to come (yes, he’d like to meet him, but not to nag him to come to every appointment). Then I mentioned that I wasn’t a woman with a birth plan. I was abit scared.

‘I don’t have a misty-eyed dream of how I want this birth to be, my goal is to have a live and healthy baby’ (I’ve been wondering if this is bad, EVERYONE has a birth plan).
‘This is a precious baby, it’s taken you lots of work to get here, we’ll be taking everything steady-as-we-go and planning on having the most boring pregnancy possible.’

Ooooh goodness me, that's just what I want too.

As I left the nurse made my next three appointments, and handed me a plastic container 'you'll need to bring a urine sample everytime you come'.

I have a couple of other posts in my head - not just pregnancy updates. Things directly to do with being a donor egg pregnancy and how we're dealing with telling people. Or how we're not.

I also don't know how to do a ticker thing.

8 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 4:46 pm , Blogger Clare said...

so glad to hear everything is going well with you and the baby. and that you are very happy with your OB ~what couldn't be better? Because you hadn't posted much, I had been wondering if it was all still ok and I an happily relieved to read your good news. and about tickers, go to http://www.tickerfactory.com and make one there. If you have trouble loading it onto your blog, email me (clare_fs@yahoo.com.au) and I'll give you some help.

 
At March 13, 2007 7:11 pm , Blogger Lut C. said...

Your baby is the size of a lemon, but your uterus must several fruit sizes larger by now, right?
Still it's soon to be showing I guess.

I'm glad you liked the OB, what a relief. :-)

I seem to have misplaced my birth plan some time over the last years.
All I remember is that it started with me being full term and ended with a healthy take-home baby. And it didn't involve desinfecting my house before or after.

 
At March 14, 2007 12:55 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so glad that all is going well. A lemon....how exciting! :-)

 
At March 14, 2007 2:04 am , Blogger Thalia said...

thank heavens for decent OBs. We are lucky. Funny, I've been craving a tracker and then figuring everyone will disown me if I get one. You go first!

 
At March 14, 2007 6:30 am , Blogger Ruby said...

snugglepie.com or tickercentral.com are good ones too.

Can't wait to see it!

Congratulations!

 
At March 16, 2007 11:41 am , Blogger Clare said...

Oh and type the html ticker code into your title description box on your template page... hope that extra info helps!

 
At March 16, 2007 12:22 pm , Blogger Clare said...

Or check out these counters which show what your baby looks like now at http://babystrology.com/tickers/

and you could add it to your sidebar...

 
At March 17, 2007 2:07 am , Blogger Mony said...

Unreal! It's amazing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home