IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sugar & Spice

It seems to be a big thing here whether you find out gender or not.

Almost everyone we know hasn’t found out – but those that do – will more often than not announce a name at the same time.

Mr. S and I just always thought we would. Maybe we figured since we started out with the help of modern science, we continue? Who knows, but I’ve always thought that the labour and delivery will be enough of a surprise for me in one go.

I keep calling it intuition, but quite unexpectedly as my pregnancy progressed I became more and more certain I was carrying a girl. The day we got a positive result was the first time I thought so and it didn’t go away, once I started feeling movement, I became convinced. I stayed convinced, when my chiropractor told me I was having a boy.

‘But I just feel like I’m having a girl’ I kept saying.

So much so that at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, when another couple asked us if we would find out – I told them confidently we were having a girl. Of course Mr. S guffawed at the time and said that people always thought they knew and were always wrong. NOW ... he says I had a 50% chance of being right, so the odds were in my favour.

So we decided we would find out and just tell people we were keeping it to ourselves. We’ll see how long we hold out.

As for names, we have around 10, and they’re more or less just thoughts.

In the nearly five years since we first started trying to have a baby, most of our favourites have been taken.

It’s a kind of WIP research project. A friend suggested if she was having a girl, she’d investigate French names.

‘That’s a good idea, why don’t you do that?’ enthused Mr. S.
‘Yeah okay, it’ll be just like when I investigated donor eggs won’t it?’ I suggested somewhat sarcastically.

The problem is, Mr. S. will err on the side of conservative, and I don’t want to.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not as if I want to do something idiotic, but I just don’t get the ‘but they’ll get teased at school’ line.

EVERYONE gets teased at school – every Julie.Smith or Karen.Jones – got a nickname.

BTW, I told Star, and she said she’d thought I’d be having a girl too.

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 4:39 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

I don't have an inkling about the gender. I was considering not finding out, but DH wants to, and I want to give him his way. And only looking for one name is an advantage.

But we won't be telling the outside world. Someone ought to be surprised.

Good to hear you're doing well.

 
At April 25, 2007 6:01 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Glad that you are doing well. I think that finding out the name and keeping it to yourselves is a good idea. You just have to be careful not to spill the beans. Some of our friends did that and told thier dentist because who is the dentist going to tell? Well it turned out that the dentist knew some of their other friends and told, and word spread like wildfire.

 
At April 25, 2007 8:44 am , Blogger JW said...

There must be something to mothers intuition after all... I'm sure you'll keep us in suspense too. I thought I wouldn't find out but Mr. B wants to, so we probably will. And its a good idea to keep it a secret, although then you'll probably get loads of yellow and green things. (But if you tell me of course, I can send you something pink or blue he he...)
So glad everything is going so well...!

 
At April 27, 2007 8:28 am , Blogger Furrow said...

I read something a few days ago that said that in one survey, mother's intuition about the gender was found to be right 70% of the time.

I'm feeling girl right now, and I've had a lot of other people say girl, too. I even had a dream.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home