IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Scan

I always wondered what it would feel like once the baby would start moving. I wondered if it would be a strange feeling, not entirely pleasant that you put up with. I think it was one of those things I was kind of scared about.

In fact, the opposite is true.

It’s a lovely feeling.

In fact it’s made me think about a little person. A little person turning around and around, and stretching in its bed. Already, with its own little personality.

Yesterday we had our 19 week scan.

By now we were able to rule out 75% of abnormalities – including cleft palate, spina bifida, club feet and any heart abnormalities. We saw the brain had developed to the right stage – I think we were told the ‘figure 8’ was responsible for current growth and movement. We switched colour on and off to check blood flow from the heart, and the umbilical cord confirming all was good and that we had a 3-strand cord. We even saw little kidneys. Waist, head, limbs and spine measurements taken.

Our baby was v.naughty, did not stop moving the entire time - even when asked by the sonographer. At times I could feel the movement while watching it! Hid its head under my belly button, and pushed its legs down so low it took ages to check for feet. Hands moving the entire time – at one point both hands in front of face – peek-a-boo style. It made it difficult to check.

‘See there, that’s one hand, see the 4 fingers?’
‘Yeah I do ... when does the 5th finger grow?’
‘Oh, it’s around the other side, there – the thumb’
‘Phew’

We were unable to get a decent head profile, or a frontal face image – as I’ve seen in other peoples scan pictures. Our best shot – baby lying almost in a complete circle – feet nearly touching head!

This is a great outcome. As good as it could be. Unfortunately an IF veteran will always worry about the ‘unknown’ 25%. Hate to think what that includes.

We were spot on in growth – 19 weeks. Ha! So I am ‘normal’ even though I’m not showing that much.

An official zucchini (or courgette if you prefer).

Oh yeah, my intuition has been correct, we’re having a girl. But we’re going to keep it to ourselves for a while.

13 Comments:

At April 17, 2007 5:37 pm , Blogger Clare said...

OMG Sparkle, a healthy, normal little girl. I am so happy for you!

 
At April 17, 2007 8:17 pm , Blogger M said...

Wonderful news Sparkle!

 
At April 17, 2007 9:53 pm , Blogger Thalia said...

Very very delighted for you.

 
At April 17, 2007 10:39 pm , Blogger KikayC said...

congratulations on the great scan :)

 
At April 17, 2007 10:47 pm , Blogger suzzcq70 said...

Great news! So happy all is well with your little GIRL!

 
At April 18, 2007 3:49 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

That's wonderful news Sparkle!

 
At April 18, 2007 5:26 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

How lovely that you can feel the baby move!

I'm glad to hear the scan went so well. Seeing the baby so active must have been absolutely heartwarming.

Not focusing on those unknowns is hard. Especially after all that training in focusing on those we've had during treatment.

 
At April 18, 2007 7:10 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy. Seems like yesterday I was waiting for the end of your TWW! Now we're on BCP for our own cycle!

 
At April 18, 2007 9:55 am , Blogger Kris said...

That is awesome! Congratulations!

 
At April 19, 2007 6:31 am , Blogger Summer said...

Great news about the scan and on having a girl!

 
At April 19, 2007 2:56 pm , Blogger Mony said...

What a DREAM!
A little girl! Coo!

 
At April 20, 2007 7:29 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww CONGRATS!!!!!!!
girls are awesome!
hugs
rae
www.brokeneggs.wordpress.com

 
At April 22, 2007 8:28 am , Blogger millie said...

A girl!!! And a great scan as well. So very happy to read this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home