IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Blah Humbug!

You know it’s pretty much par-for-the-course for anyone going through infertility to get a touch of the ‘bar humbug’ at this time of the year. I know it’s coming, so now I expect it.

Work is frantic, then there’s Christmas shopping, menu planning ... and ahhh ... yeah the fact that another Christmas looms without a baby.

A colleague and I were having a whinge about how much there was to do, and on top of it, there’s a heap of Christmas parties etc. to plan for work.

‘Yeah, I’ve had to get a bunch of quotes for a party I’m working on, need everything in today, so the budget can be approved’.

Well the budget was approved. Guess what? She had been tasked with planning a Christmas party for all the kids ... the kids of all Company employees!

‘How much?’
‘$15K’
‘Great, I hope we get another $15K so those of us without kids can have a party’ [joking]
‘I’m looking for volunteers’
‘Count me out, I’ll be taking advantage of it and taking an early mark that day’

Bah F****** Humbug.

‘That’s discriminatory’ Mr. S said.
‘Yeah, but I have to watch my mouth, you know - otherwise I’ll give away the REAL reason why it p***** me off so much’
‘Yeah’

Imagine that ‘Infertile-hell’ – all the kids of everyone you work with (I work for a large company) running around having the time of their lives AT WORK. I’ve spent the last 4 years having to listen through all the boring ‘Mummy/Daddy chit-chat’ at work – imagine watching the whole lot of them en masse – Fertility Wonderland!

I hope they have a great time. I’m being honest, in fact I remember growing up and having a ball at my father’s work Christmas Party – but then again, my father paid into social club towards that event.

This week I paid another visit to the Alternative Goddess … you know since I’d made an appointment last time. Unfortunately I was running late, so they had to shuffle things around abit, and I had to sit in the waiting room for a little while. This time I scanned over the framed certificates – Science Degree, Osteopathy Diploma, Chiropractic Diploma as well as the Kinesiology Diploma. Ah well, if nothing else, she’s certainly spent some time studying.

‘Did you expect me to have any physical responses to our last session?’ I asked
‘Yes, what happened’
‘I had a headache for two days’
‘No I didn’t expect that, anything else?’
‘Aching’
‘Yes, that’s what I expected, you shouldn’t feel that after this time’

So we got on with another session. Much the same as last time. More jabbing, prodding and questioning. This time my reading was better. But she picked up that my Lutenising Hormone was out.
‘Well my body is suppressed, and now I’ve just started taking tablets to build up my oestrogen levels’

Why am I bothering? My friend who recommended her, went through a donor cycle herself and has now delivered her baby [boy]. She has also sent two friends to her – one who experienced IF for 12 years and is now pregnant, and so is the other (can’t remember the details).

I ask myself – is this doing any harm? No. Well, why not then.

Today I have a sore throat.

In answer to Mony’s question. No she isn’t doing acupuncture on me. But she does have an acupuncturist come to the clinic.

On Monday night Star started her injections. I phoned in and talked her through the first one – which, after three jabs, went without a hitch.

We won’t know till Friday, when Star has her first blood test, how she is responding. Then we will have an idea about when EPU might be.

Nice Nurse told me that it was possible, given Star’s age, that she may only need to be stimming for 8 days.

‘I’m scared that if that happens, that there’ll be a whole bunch of immature eggs!’ I mentioned to Glamour Nurse. ‘Or am I worrying too much’?
‘SDD will make the decision based on the scan and blood test, don’t worry’.
‘Okay, we’ll talk on Friday then’.

Now the injections have started, it has taken a lot of the worry out of the equation. This is what we have been working towards, and now it’s happening. I just don’t want it to happen too fast.

3 Comments:

At December 08, 2006 3:52 am , Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Too bad they won't take those $15K and spend them on an employees' fertility treatment... now that would be great!

Wishing you and Star all the best this cycle!

 
At December 08, 2006 6:05 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

Volunteers? Shrieking laughter. NO WAY!

I'm hoping for good news on Friday!

 
At December 08, 2006 11:44 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

That party sounds like a nightmare. There is no way I would volunteer.

Good luck on Friday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home