IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cycle or Circus

Well life in the fairground-that-appears-to-be-our-cycle continues.

A quick ride on the rollercoaster this morning – I arrived at work early, and promptly turned heel, grabbed my bag and spent the next hour and a quarter in a cab doing a circuit home and back to work again. By 10am I'd waved hello 3 times to the Opera House as I'd whizzed by on the harbour bridge.

I left home and forgot to take my Syn0rel. On the run, I quickly texted my workmate ... Ummm ‘if anyone's looking for me, I've had to urgently go home, [t-h-i-n-k Sparkle] ... Mr. S left the his keys hanging out of the car boot’.

I honestly wonder if there will come a day when I run out of excuses - nah, not yet still plenty in cold storage.

‘I’m going to put big notices up around the apartment 'Remember to take the Sniffing Drug’, (as it's fondly known in our house) Mr. S said.

In desperation, I’d texted him from the train to see if he was still at home and could take it to work, so I could do a courier pick up.

Star and I appear to be going round and round on the Syn0rel ferris wheel and can’t get off.

Calls to Glamour Nurse yesterday, left us with another ‘just hold on’ message.

Nice Nurse had her day off, so our schedule is still the 'great unknown'. Her being the donor coordinator means there is NO ONE else to help.

‘But Star says she hasn’t heard from her’ I told Glamour Nurse, ‘should she be having more blood drawn for the CF test, I don’t mean to be a pest, but have we just lost 2 working days with this’?
‘Well she told me that the lab would call if they require further blood, and we haven’t heard from them’
‘Does that mean the blood that went missing on the way to Sydney was found’?
‘Sounds like it’

Okay, so I’ll walk away from that one, the cycle is going ahead regardless.

‘Well then, do Star and I need to have blood tests to see if we’re suppressed’?
‘Yes you will, but don’t worry, they’ve got all the pre-Christmas cycles lined up, you will get the call when it needs to be done, you will have your transfer before Christmas’.

But actually it feels like we're lost in a maze.

Star and I keep turning corners, but aren’t close to finding our way out.

‘Can you wait till tomorrow when Nice Nurse is back, and we’ll get the schedule from her?’
‘Yes’

In the meantime, which way to the dodgems?

5 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 7:47 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I offer a few suggestions from a fellow sniffing-brain-rereduced-donor-egg-recipient? You are free to misplace them.

1) Ask you clinic for an additional bottle or prescription of nose spray, and leave it at work. (I now have bottles stashed in several locales.)

2) Remember that there is a certain amount of wiggle room with these appointments. The first blood test (after one week of sniffing -- standard IVF hormones + pregnancy test), the second blood test and ultrasound (to check if lining is thin), the next tests: all these can be done during a "window" of time. When you are given a schedule, it seems inflexible. But in fact, the schedule does not need to be so precise UNTIL you begin stimming. When Star starts stimming and you begin estrogen then you need to follow the instructions to the day. But for now, two days will make no difference.

3) If Star needs to do another CF test, it is possible to get the results in about a week. The CF test is one of the faster DNA tests. So you should be able to know before retrieval even if the blood from the first test has not been found.
If Star is of northern European descent, then her chance of being a carrier is about 1 in 30. If she is a carrier, the chance of her biological child (with a non carrier) being a carrier is 1 in 2 (not 4).

I wish that when I forgot my nose spray, I could stare out on the opera house!

I am rooting for you.

 
At November 30, 2006 1:55 am , Blogger Unknown said...

How frustrating this must be - to come this far and still have hurdles to leap over.

I'm holding my breadth for you. I am on the same journey but several steps behind and wish you all the best.

 
At November 30, 2006 8:03 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

My doctor told me the Sniffing drug keeps you on hold, for weeks if they want. AARRGGHHH! The mere thought.

I hope the nurse whips out that protocol tomorrow first thing. Let's get this show on the road!

 
At November 30, 2006 9:43 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

This must be so frustrating for you. I hope that you get your protocol tomorrow and that things start to go more smoothly for you.

 
At November 30, 2006 12:26 pm , Blogger Kellie said...

put the syneral in your handbag..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home