IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cup Day Take 2

Unlike Melbourne Cup Day 2005, MCD 2006 was fun!

Amazing isn't it, to be blogging the same event two years running - still IF, still no baby?

This year, guess what? No pregnant women around – out of the 50 or so people I went out to lunch with – not one, no belly rubbing or being roped into boring ante-natal class conversations!

There were a few men (including my boss!), whose wives are pregnant – but thankfully the wives were at home so they just got drunk.

We started lunch around 12.30pm and I walked out-the-door-backwards at around 7.30pm to head home.

Picked the winner, but unfortunately got greedy and went for a trifecta – so won nothing.

Of course, you never escape unscathed, I was asked the question towards the seedy end of the day, ‘do I want kids and when am I going to have them?’

These days I lie so easily it’s becoming, quite frankly, disturbing.

‘Yes of course I do, I want to have my own kids and I’d also like to adopt’.

Seamless, never skip a beat, it’s become effortless over the years ... they don’t have a clue (idiots, how many married women ‘of a certain age’ would still not be pregnant within 5 years of their marriage if they wanted kids?!).

On days like these, my experience in the entertainment biz pays dividends, I learnt very early on how to pace myself at boozy work functions. Being nice and social, but never getting so blind drunk I ‘spill my guts’ – it’s kept all my secrets intact.

Sometimes when I’m lying, I just look at the person I’m talking to and think to myself – ‘I hope this time next year I’m on maternity leave’. For some reason, this seems to bolster me up to keep the conversation and lies going.

Being at a loud boozy work function also meant that I didn’t hear my mobile ringing ... ringing ... ringing

On my way home in the cab (that some pig before me had puked out the door in) I picked up all my messages – the nurse from the doctors office trying to get hold of both me and Star.

A few texts and phone calls this morning, everything sorted.

Star started sniffing this morning ... Mr. S and I see the SDD in the morning and sign our final paperwork.

We are moving onto the next stage of our DE cycle.

4 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 12:00 am , Blogger Thalia said...

I was thinking of you when I saw the melbourne cup stuff in the news. I'm glad you had an ok day although shame about that bet!

 
At November 09, 2006 7:16 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

That's a whole lot of non-pregnant people. Which is good, except for the fact that you're one of them.

You know you're experienced IF when missing phone calls doesn't freak you out. :-/

I hope Star has very little side-effects from the medication. You too of course.

 
At November 09, 2006 12:29 pm , Blogger Carol said...

I just found your blog. I will go back and read your history and try too keep up with you as your cycle progresses. I have had 5 failed IVF/FET cycles, and we are moving to DE too - although with my sister as the donor which we feel very fortunate about.

 
At November 09, 2006 4:09 pm , Blogger Stephanie said...

I admire how you can so easily lie or come up with snappy responces to those oh so lovely questions nosey people ask. Just today a tv delivery guy said that my kids must love our back yard. i said, they would love it if I had kids. I wish I was quick enough to come up with a better responce. Any suggestions?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home