IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Morning Glory

‘Imagine everything that can go wrong, will go wrong. That’s the reality of a donor cycle’.

Those words were certainly ringing in my ears this morning.

Star’s CF blood never arrived at the lab in Sydney - the test has not been performed, we still do not have a result ... we found this out this morning.

Nice Nurse was apparently seeing red, Glamour Nurse told me.

‘Angry at the labs I hope?’
‘Well yes’
‘But, wasn’t she meant to be chasing these tests more than a week ago?’
‘Yes, I left 3 messages with her'.
‘Hmmm so some of the negligence lies with her’.
‘That would appear to be the case’.

Actually I’m used to everything going wrong, so in fact, it doesn't phase me, I don't even break into a sweat. Nothing I can do. One of those situations, you can ask a million questions, scream at everyone and never get an answer – deal with it.

Half an hour later, SDD called and gave me the low-down:

‘Mr. S. is negative, so if Star is a carrier the risk is 1:4 of a potential child being a carrier, this is a risk that can be determined pre-natal (think he said). If a child is a carrier, then the main concern will be if he/she meets another carrier when they are an adult.’
‘Right, with you so far’.
‘We can go ahead with the cycle now (this side of Christmas), and if we haven’t got the results in by transfer, freeze everything until we get a result, OR if you are prepared to take the risk do a fresh transfer, OR finally we wait on the blood results and cycle in January.
‘Hmm, do you want an answer today?’
‘Yes, we’d be grateful if you can call back this afternoon’.

A quick call to Mr. S. and we decide we’re happy to either go ahead or wait till January, we want to talk to Star and see what she wants to do.

Star, meanwhile, started a brand new job today. Thankfully after some texting, I was able to talk to her in her lunchbreak.

‘I’m happy to go ahead now’.
‘Okay, because we are too, but if you wanted to wait till January so are we’.
‘Nah, I reckon we should go ahead’.

One of the reasons we may appear to be less panicked is that the chances are extremely low that Star is a carrier (we know her child isn’t) and she does not have any greek heritage (for some reason this increases the chances).

Also, we will be cycling with Star regardless. In the remote chance that her results do come back positive, because Mr. S. is negative, the cycle will go ahead.

Decision made.

5 Comments:

At November 27, 2006 9:05 pm , Blogger Susie said...

o my god... as if you don't have enought to worry about! Lucky you have found an angel in your donor.

 
At November 28, 2006 12:36 am , Blogger suzzcq70 said...

I just started reading your blog about two weeks ago and am hooked. I am currently prepping for a donor embryo transfer on Dec 7th. I love reading your words and I admire you're non-freaking-out attitude over the test results lost. Unbelievable that this happened.

Anyway, hopefully it won't be long now! I'll be checking up on you!

 
At November 28, 2006 7:34 pm , Blogger Lut said...

What's that 70's disco song?

Freak out!
Le Freak, so chic
...

I'm impressed with your coolness!

 
At November 28, 2006 10:20 pm , Blogger Meri-ann said...

Shees, is nothing ever easy?!

So glad that this is all happening!

 
At November 29, 2006 12:49 am , Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so glad that you got everything figured out. That must have been so stressful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home