IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Home

Just got home from pick up, and I am feeling a little disappointed.

We had 5 follicles retrieved, 1 that is a little immature, 3 at Grade 2 and 1 at Grade 1. The scientist said that most follicles are Grade 2 when they get them, so the Grade 1 is a bonus.

This is the worst retrieval I have had in terms of follicle nos., previously I've had 7, 8 and 11. So I don't think the dhea has really lived up to any promise for me - unless these follicles turn out to be great developers.

Everyone reassured me that this was a good result, despite our previous efforts, and not to be fixated on the number.

D and I had a long talk with the scientist prior to the pick up, and told her all our concerns with D's morphology, so I'm hoping they'll really hunt down the best sperm to inject (we ICSI).

Tomorrow we find out about our fertilisation and at this stage we're still looking at a 5-day transfer, but I'm going to talk to the nurses about that tomorrow.

In terms of the procedure, it went pretty smoothly, but I've always been lucky with that and the recovery - the nurse popped her head in to see how I was going - and did a double take to see me doing the crossword!

Oh, and the drugs were good, I even got a booster mid-way. I informed everyone that I had decided to imagine myself in a scene out of a Jane Austin novel! Oops, I also told them that we refer to the ultra sound as dildo-cam! Of course, I was completely oblivious to any reaction ...

Still got the lovely floaty sensation, so am going to laze around watching dvd's.

5 Comments:

At December 10, 2005 3:57 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling disappointed by the results. I hope the fertilization report bolsters your spirits and that all the eggs were fertilized and are growing strongly.
Too funny about your verbal slips while under the drugs. I'm pretty sure I told the dr. who removed my wisdom teeth just before college that he was hot and that the drugs felt just like smoking pot - not that I would know mind you ;)

 
At December 10, 2005 7:49 am , Blogger MC said...

I hope they all fertilise. I always fixate on the numbers as well. Anything can happen and I never like the feeling of having to go back through stims.
Good luck with it all. I'm sure the DHEA has made them top quality eggs.

 
At December 10, 2005 1:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that you're feeling worried. Got my fingers crossed that this'll be the cycle for you. Good luck with all the next steps. I'll be thinking of you (funny thing is, I do whenever I see something sparkly!)

 
At December 11, 2005 4:25 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

Who isn't fixated on the numbers?
I know I am, though I'm still dealing with different numbers.

I hope good results will make you forget about them very soon.

 
At December 12, 2005 9:55 am , Blogger Thalia said...

I can understand that you're disappointed. I would be too. But here's hoping that the fertilisation report is great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home