IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Dr. Famous Urologist

So while we're getting to the business end of our cycle, D finally had his appointment with Dr. Famous Urologist yesterday.

D said he had to stand completely naked in front of the doctor for a thorough examination, before the doctor even looked at his ultrasound(!)

Obviously he didn't find it that comfortable, but he said he felt better about it because of all the various procedures and ops. that I've been thru.

In a nutshell Dr. FU confirmed that D had a varicocele, but that it was impossible to tell whether it is the cause of D's morphology troubles. He did confirm that D's morphology was a big problem. He said there is a minor surgical procedure that can be performed - day surgery under general anaesthetic. There has been some debate over whether this is effective at all, but Dr FU, conducted his own trial some years ago and found that that it did help a percentage - something like 40% (compared to 20% not having the surgery and then going on to get pregnant).

Before we go any further he has asked D to have another blood test to check the Y chromosomes (he thinks). I went thru my file of test results and found a SCSA test that D had in April which was basically testing the DNA for fertility potential, so I'm not sure that D needs yet another blood test. BTW, this test confirmed that D had fertility potential.

If he has to have another one, it will take another 10 days for the results... Christmas is coming ...

Once this has been established, D will have a phone consultation and the decision will be made whether to go ahead with the surgery.

My view is to go ahead, but I sense that D is juggling the percentages alongside his fear. Not that I blame him, but if we'd taken that view on IVF we wouldn't never have ever gone ahead. Neither would alot of people I suspect.

I feel quite stressed about this, but of course, I want us to take any action we can to improve our chances, yet I feel I have to keep pushing D to get moving with it. The thing is that if and when he does go ahead and have the op, it'll take something like 3 months before any kind of improvement will be detected!

Blood test and scan this morning, will find out if I trigger tonight for Friday pick up.

1 Comments:

At December 08, 2005 2:06 pm , Anonymous Lori said...

I'm glad D's appointment shed some light on the situation. How nice that he recognized your share of the poking and prodding has been a bit more than just standing around naked.
I'm sorry that Dr. Famous' appointment has presented you both with more decisions to make. I hear you about the 40% thing though. For us, it's good enough to plunk down loads of money we don't really have for IVF. Seems like a strong enough number to have a minor surgical procedure. I hope he makes a decision you're both comfortable with.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home