IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Home Again

We got home last night, and haven't had time to scratch myself yet!

The week away was wonderful, far north Queensland is a tropical paradise. Air temperature 32 C (that's 90 F) and water temperature 28 C (82 F!), it's like swimming in a salty bath! We're lucky because D's parent have an apartment that we're allowed to use, which is literally over the road from the beach. There are only ever 20 or 30 other people on the beach.

So, apart from the every 8-hour synarel nightmare getting me up at 6am, it was totally relaxing. We did have to go and get another blood test and have it faxed to Sydney, but that's all part of the fun.

The nurse told me everything was fine to start stims today, but for the first time, I asked for my results: E2 - 89
LH - 5.3
P4 - 2

None of this meant anything to me, but I saw CFG this morning and she said it was a 'perfect start - LH of a 20 year old' (is she exaggerating?). She seemed to think that was the most important one - like FSH.

So today I started my day 1. of Puregon injections (200ml), next blood tests on Wednesday.

Think the first ultrasound will be on Friday.

I also think today is my 14th week on DHEA, so it'll be interesting to see if this makes any difference to anything - in particular follicle stimulation.

So that's that for the moment.

D and I have one of the most social weeks we've had all year coming up - can't believe how things work out. Our best friends C&D have come home from the US for the next two weeks (I'm petrified that they'll have a pregnancy announcement ... not that I won't be happy for them ... I'm just scared about how I'll react at the time ... I know, this is getting very old).

On Sunday we're catching up with a huge crowd for a welcome home yum cha (think that's called dim sum in US?), then that night we're going to see Emilianna Torini (sp?), anyone heard of her? She's part Icelanic/Italian and has a voice like honey. Wednesday night we are going to a play at the Opera House, Thursday night is designated posh dinner with C&D, then Friday we head to the country for 2 days for the wedding of one of my oldest friends.

All this, through the next week of stimming then pick up (or is it drop off?)

All this and we're not meant to be drinking or doing anything fun ...

IF is shit, but thank goodness we still have a life.

9 Comments:

At November 26, 2005 6:13 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've had such a good break, and everything sounds good for starting stims. I thought that synarel would be good, rather than doing injections, but the more I read the more I think the injections weren't so bad.

Am v envious of your social life!

 
At November 26, 2005 8:19 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I love it when the ocean is like bath water!
I'm glad you're numbers are looking good. That's got to be a bit reassuring at the outset. I'll be hoping the DHEA is working its magic on those follies!
And what a social whirlwind ahead - I hope you have a great time and there are no surprise baby announcements!

 
At November 26, 2005 10:14 am , Blogger MC said...

Vacation sounds good. I started stims on Thursday.
I was wondering what your IVF Dr thinks of the DHEA, I forgot to ask my Dr about it on Thursday.
Looks like we are cycling together. Good luck with it all.

 
At November 27, 2005 9:47 am , Blogger Sparkle said...

Yay MC, we're one day apart. I haven't asked my doctor about dhea, I'm self-medicating. This may be bad, but my doctor has not exactly been enthusiastic about anything alternative - except to advise me to start talking to my sister about DE! I discuss the dhea with my CFG, she has other patients in a similar position to me who are also self medicating. The original lady that sparked the study on this - did the same thing.

 
At November 27, 2005 10:03 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful time on vacation. The climate sounds lovely (it's raining/snowing here).

So much excitement this week! I'm bored, but too lazy/depressed to do anything about it.

 
At November 27, 2005 10:21 am , Blogger OvaGirl said...

So important to have a life as well Sparkle, to not have everything fall into a heap while this takes place. Good luck with your cycle!

 
At November 29, 2005 6:22 am , Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Sounds like a lovely holiday! It has been snowing here today hahaha!

 
At November 30, 2005 11:24 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're off to a nice start. I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Hey, what do your doctors think of you doing CTM during your cycle? I'm not asking for any particular reason; I'm just curious. If you've dealt with this in another post, just point me there.

 
At November 30, 2005 4:03 pm , Blogger Sparkle said...

Hi Pixi,
'Perfect start' has just gone downhill.
My doctor thinks TCM is a load of bollocks, but doesn't see it as harmful. He reckons his concern is me wasting my money.
This cycle I'm only having acupuncture, not having any of the teas. The nurses at the hospital told me that at least 50% of women have acupuncture when cycling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home