IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Friday, October 14, 2005

My-O-Myectomy

My post today is about best friend F. She has to go into hospital for an operation called an Abdominal Myomectomy, so all my thoughts are with her. At 1pm she has to go in and first have herself measured for a stocking suit that she has to wear afterwards (it’s the new black).

Look it up on the internet if you want, she told me to – and she said to make sure to look at the find pictures … holy alien-exploding-out-of-stomach …

Ahh that’s nothing I said in an empathetic under-estimation, you should see the pictures of what I’ve been thru …

F is a great friend, and is one of the few people I talk to about what D and I are going thru, we’re fertility confidantes.

She’s a little older than me (41) and wants to have a baby too. Her story is not unusual, she was single and had thought children weren’t going to happen and then met her partner. They have been together a couple of years now and would like to build a family.

F had been diagnosed with the fibroid a couple of years earlier, but maybe because she was single no one suggested an operation or any other treatment – because she was told that fibroids shrink when you reach menopause, now there’s something to look forward to.

I’m trying to help F as much as I can – since I’ve got a fair bit of knowledge in all this these days – I can only think of how much I learned online from other’s women’s experiences and pass it on. The main thing I keep trying to emphasis to F is not to amble on this path – but run like you’ve got the devil on your tail!

Poor F had to have an HSG (like most of us), but for her having a tilted pelvis as well as the fibroid made it a very bad experience, the technician even wrote that it was a technically difficult procedure and wouldn’t have been possible without the cooperation of the patient. YAY for women in general and F in particular.

The main downside for F is that she has to go on the pill for 6 months following the op, apparently it takes that long for everything internally to heal. I’ve advised F that at the 3 month mark she should start taking DHEA, so by the time they can start trying she’ll have her eggs super-charged!

So for F, the healing gods have been instructed to hover very close to the inner west of Sydney today and to include a couple of angels in the envoy.

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2005 10:15 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today.
I hope your friend is doing okay and healing nicely.
I'm looking forward to reading more.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home