IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Something in the water?

YAAYYY Brooke Shields, Gwyneth Paltrow, Christy Turlington and now Claudia Karvan (Aus actress) are all pregnant with their second babies – anyone else? How wonderful now they will all have perfect nuclear families on top of everything else in their fabulous lives.

I wish we could just get all the announcements out of the way in one go, so I can go back to reading magazines or newspapers as a means of escape, without having to confront my own IF yet again.

Right now you can’t leave your house without tripping over the maximum coverage of the wonderful fairytale of Princess Mary and Frederick – every magazine with the official ‘family’ photo on the cover. I mean Mary leaving the hospital to go home interrupted regular broadcasting on national tv! But everyone sucks it all up and wants more!. Aaaahhh aren’t they perfect? Isn’t it wonderful that she sat in the backseat of the car with her baby? Who cares? Just loved the way she referred to herself as 'one' (snicker!)

It’s filthy enough having to hear announcements from family and friends, but are we expected to be ecstatic at every celebrity pregnancy and birth as well?

The cult of celebrity is so extreme that these announcements have this hideous knock-on effect into our personal space. You can’t go out to dinner or even to work without being dragged into a conversation about the latest star’s pregnancy, whether they look good, do I think they’re having a boy or a girl aaaahhh! Why are these people so much a part of our own lives?

I’m not entirely convinced that my attitude is solely because of our IF. I mean is this what passes for interesting conversation now?

I just want a celebrity to get pregnant and tell everyone that they’ve been through hell to get there, and the only way they coped was by writing a blog and reading everyone else’s. Is it too far fetched to imagine that Brooke or Courtney (the only celebrities to be half-honest about IF) actually got on the internet and read forums and blogs?

I think because we’re going through IF I never publicly express what I really think.

There would be nothing more likely to give away my embittered state than letting the toxic and sarcastic remarks that I’m forever thinking accidentally slip out.

The fact that there are so many pregnant women at my work means that not a day goes past without conversation about babies. If I have to hear one more person say ‘oh there must be something in the water, so many of us are pregnant’! Yeah well guess what - I’ve been drinking my prescribed 1-2 litres of this f****** work-water every day for 3 years, and it’s done nothing for me!

Yep, that'd do it.

5 Comments:

At October 31, 2005 6:51 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Brooke shields presumably did it the hard way - hope for all of us? I hate the water cooler conversations. Wondering if there's something suitably snarky that you could say to get them off your back. Sorry not inspired right now, I'll hope someone else who's more gifted in the snarky department has an idea.

Sorry it's hard right now.

 
At October 31, 2005 8:49 pm , Blogger Lut C. said...

I know what you mean. How many blind eyes can you turn?

Regarding giving yourself away with toxic and sarcastic remarks, don't worry. IF doesn't register with fertiles easily, except the ones 'educated' by IF friends or family.

I routinely shield myself with sarcastic remarks in response to cute baby pictures or baby stories. No one has called my bluff, everyone at work thinks I'm an aggressive childfree person, not a bitter childless person.
I'm not planning on pointing out the difference any time soon.

 
At November 01, 2005 6:43 am , Blogger Pamplemousse said...

It is Julia Roberts with the "twins run in the family" line. Ha! Yeah, right. Bite me.

 
At November 01, 2005 5:59 pm , Blogger MC said...

I avoid those magazines, they give me the shits. So does work with 4 pregnancies at the moment.

 
At November 05, 2005 4:24 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleah. I hear you. How awful to get that crap on so many fronts. I've been so distracted lately that I've watched almost no TV, but what do you know, the second I turned it on to some documentary, there was a ticker tape along the bottom of the screen that Mary had given birth. WTF? Is there a special mission out there to mess with my head? Is there some sort of signal I'm sending out that makes every TV selection made, every magazine opened up, every conversation overheard all about babies and pregnancy? It seems to incredible to think that there are people out there who see that as pleasant escapism...

I hear you on the internal toxicity levels increasing... I'm bracing for an eruption over here -- and dreading what it might do...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home