IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Done

Soooo, no more phone calls.

Legs in stirrups ...

Scientist advises 'no cells lost or any fragmentation - embryo much better than last one'.

Transfer is quick and easy.

Nagging doubts ... cells hadn't started dividing again.

Scientist says 'it's fine, normal'.
This is the embryo from a 26yo egg(!) Has to be in with a good shot ... right?

Let's see.

Acupuncture followed straight after. All the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Nagging doubts ...

3 Comments:

At February 27, 2009 8:20 pm , Blogger Thalia said...

fingers very much crossed.

 
At March 01, 2009 5:41 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

A dumb question, how do they know the embryo survived the thaw if they don't see it divide?
They told me my embryo hadn't survived not only a few hours after thaw (I think).

I'm sure they can tell somehow, I just don't know how.

This isn't helping your doubts, I guess.

You made it to transfer, you have a chance. Good luck!

 
At March 01, 2009 9:18 am , Blogger Sparkle said...

Hi Lut,
I have no idea - with our first transfer we were told the embryo had survived the thaw - but it wasn't until the next morning we were told it had started fusing cells and wasn't suitable.
Maybe there are visual indications? Maybe they literally shrivel up during the thaw?
Apparently an embryo can lose up to 50% of its cells and still be considered more than viable for transferring.
From what the doctor was saying - it can still be anybodys guess. They've seen pregnancies result but the worst embryos, and the complete opposite 'perfect hatching blastocysts' result in negatives.
But given the option - wouldn't we all prefer the comfort of the latter scenario?
At this point, I'm absolutely certain that if we don't get a pregnancy this time, its the embryo and not me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home