IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yes I'm Still Here

But not for much longer.

Just returned from my Ob. appointment.

The internal-to-include-the-stretch revealed that I'm still nowhere near ready to go into spontaneous labour.

The plan is that I now have to go into hospital this evening and be ready to be induced first thing tomorrow morning.

It would appear that while I haven't taken after my mother in terms of 'getting pregnant at the drop of a hat', I have with 'pregnancy'! Five children - all 2 weeks late.

I asked my Ob. what the story is - I mean in an IVF pregnancy there is no doubt about conception date and time. So what determines when a baby is to be born - is it when the baby is ready or when the mother is?

He seems to think it's the mother - but it's not something that has ever been conclusively proven with humans. IVF would appear to be a very good control for this theory.

It's funny while I've never had the 'grand birth plan', the one thing I never considered was being induced - it's always been will I end up having a natural birth or a caesarian? Will I need an epidural?

So while I was initially upset - I'm making myself see the bright side - I'll be in hospital and everything will be monitored carefully all the way.

So there you have it - I actually have a birth plan now.

6 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 12:02 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

good luck with the delivery - I am so happy for you.

all the best, Jade

 
At September 19, 2007 3:43 pm , Blogger Drowned Girl said...

Good luck.

Different genetic groups have differing lengths of gestation, you know.

In the UK they allow 40w, in France 41, for a start!

 
At September 19, 2007 10:25 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so exciting! Good luck!

 
At September 20, 2007 5:37 am , Blogger idiot said...

I've been lurking since conception (hee hee) and just want to de-lurk to wish you all the best in an easy delivery!!!

 
At September 20, 2007 7:36 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

Ah well, good for not making plans for delivery until the last minute. Then there's no disappointment when you have to change them.

I hope the delivery goes very smoothly!

 
At September 21, 2007 8:15 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Sparkles
all the best for a safe and relatively comfortable delivery! PLEASE try not to leave us hanging too long as to how it all went and boy or girl etc as I will be holding my breathe with anticipation. I am so very happy for you . best wishes Justice

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home