IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

At a point

Humming along in that pocket of time known as 'pre-transfer'.

Taking the pill, now trying to get rid of the yeast infection courtesy of my last failed cycle. Ick.

My Fertility Goddess tells me I'm 'full of fungus' so has also prescribed a trilogy of herbs so foul-tasting I have to trasnfer them into gel capsules before taking. That way my chemical drugs take care of the wiping out the gross symptoms and the herbal concoction works on the imbalance created within ... created by the chemicals I was taking for my cycle.

Lord let's hope this two-pronged attack takes fast effect!

In the meantime I've paid a visit to my RE's office and had a chat with regards to 'options and plan b's'. As far as jumping back into the egg-sharing program off-shore, the new developments are that the waiting time has reduced by more than 6 months. Sooo if we decided to proceed, we would only need to wait around 3 months!

In the opinion of the RE's off-sider this should be the last option we pursue. She believes that to have one child via a known donor and one via anonymous would not be ideal for the one who would never be able to find out who the donor was.

I have to agree with her.

But, she did say if we did get to the point where we wanted to proceed, we could seek some counselling help on how to deal with those issues and proceed.

First things first. She doesn't believe that because we haven't had an embryo stick around that from this cycle, it doesn't mean that one of the last two won't. She is of the opinion (she's a scientist), that most cycles will yield 1 or 2 embryos that will go on to implant. The expectations that if you have 12 embryos that all of them will become take home babies is ludicrous.

The other thing she says is ... if Star were to offer to go again we should think very seriously about it. We clearly have not had that discussion, and as we discussed, why would we - we're not at the end of the road yet. She says that we have to remember we have BabyG - so clearly there are good fertility chances.

Being the scientist that she is, she is in agreement with me on thawing both remaining embryos. She asked me what I would do if they thawed both and at transfer I was told both were fantastic .... 'I'm just hoping we get a call that an embryo has survived the thaw at this point!' I stammered.

She reckons that only viable embryos are frozen, so there is as much chance of both of these doing well as any. In that case, well, we would prolly transfer one and re-freeze the other.

We can only hope.


At April 03, 2009 8:22 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

3 months? That's not long at all?!
But it does sound plausible that mixing known and anonymous donor in one family could cause friction.

Luckily, that's not the bridge you're in front of yet. :-)

Good luck!

At April 16, 2009 4:11 am , Blogger Bee Cee said...

Having my first DE cycle in Aug, so I might just tag along if I can and learn a few things, if that's ok?

Wishing you loads of luck with the next try.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home