IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What was all that fuss about?

I had my HSG this morning.

It was much anticipated and feared. Last time I found it a nightmare and was cramping during the procedure.

This time I wondered if I’d even had the same thing? I mean, if memory serves me correct, I had to lie on a table and had a overhead thing pulled atop and was told to try not to move.

I've been such a sissy-pants about this, in a blind panic I requested valium and pain killers, I didn’t need any of it.

The worst part today was putting the speculum in. Last time I seem to remember a jabbing feeling when the dye probe was being put in position?

The doctor said at the outset that he was most concerned about the uterus and wasn’t worrying that much about my tubes.

This time, as before dye only went into my right hand tube. Left hand side showed only partial ‘opacification’.

My uterine cavity is satisfactory without filling defects, and cervix competent without abnormality. This is what he was looking for. Sheesh, it's not like a report where you get an 'excellent' or anything.

The doctor said he’s not worried about the partial block in my tube – his concern is with fibroids and polyps and none appeared to be present. Incidentally my last doctor thought the partial block was due to spasm – but this is a subject of much debate.

The reason I had to get an updated HSG, is that it's the main test I need in order for us to proceed with donor eggs. Unfortunately my last one was 2/12 years ago, so it needed an update. Apparently fibroids can hinder implantation – and with the amount of oestrogen I’ve had to pump in throughout the IVF cycles I really was wondering if I might have encouraged a few to come hither and flourish.

Both D and I have had to have some up to date blood tests, and again I will be very interested to see how my FSH is looking these days – after 5 cycles! It's hard to believe it could be holding it's own.

So now that this is out of the way, we can look to move forward! I dropped off our signed forms [with photo], and now we're officially in the program.

3 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 8:51 am , Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm glad your worst fears didn't materialize with the new HSG. And even more glad that you can move on to something new.

 
At February 08, 2006 12:56 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad the hsg went more smoothly this time and all looks good. I hope the rest of the tests yield such good reports so you can be on your merry way to a DE cycle!!

 
At February 08, 2006 10:35 pm , Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Sounds exactly like my only HSG but with less pain. Maybe the second time around, you know what to expect so it is not as bad?? Moving on is good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home