IF and the City

I used to feel sad when I watched the episodes with Charlotte failing over and over again while trying to get pregnant. Little did I know that my own attempts would lead me on the same sad journey. We've now passed 4 years in the trenches. 6 failed IVF/ICSI cycles = nothing. Time for something new - donor eggs. Success at last. Now for round 2.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Ageing Grey-cefully

All’s pretty quiet on the blog front at the moment.

That’s mostly because all’s pretty quiet in our IF world.

I’ve spent the last week working on my Life Story, for our Adoption submission, and it’s taken up all the writing concentration I can muster.

I’m having my acupuncture and chiropractic sessions every week, and slowly … slowly, starting to feel like things are coming back to normal following our last IVF cycle. The hiking of the Pure*gon mid-cycle didn’t do me any favours.

My cycles are normally 28-29 days, the two I’ve had following IVF were 34 days followed by 31. My acupuncturist said that it’s possible they now won’t go back to normal, but she’ll be happy with 30.

Yesterday when I saw her, I mentioned that I had blocked and itchy sinuses, and could she help.

She sure could, I had needles put on either side of my nose and right at the tip, she also put one in the centre of my forehead, just by my hairline. [Today I feel pretty good].

CFG: What colour is your hair?
S: Dark Brown
CFG: Do you dye it?
S: Yes, [snicker] I’ve got a few grey hairs.
CFG: Okay, so natural colour dark brown?
S: Yes
CFG: Do you lose much hair?
S: NOOO, my hair is usually quite thick.

CFG then went on to tell me that in Chinese Medicine, a woman’s fertility is often judged by her hair condition, so having some grey hair is a sign of declining egg quality…. Thinning hair is another.

Buggery, bollocks I thought, my mum told me that I was just like my father, that I’d get a few extra grey hairs each year, but that I wouldn’t go noticeably grey until I was 80 or something. My father still hasn’t gone fully grey yet.

CFG told me not to worry, that it was just something for her to take into account and work with.

That being the case, what it means is that my egg quality has been on a downward spiral since I turned 19 – when, horrifically, I found my first grey hair – and promptly pulled it out!

It made me think that I’ve had the cards stacked against me for years. If my fertility was dwindling back then, and it took me another 11 years to meet Mr. S – we were really battling up hill all the way.

In a warped way it doesn’t surprise me. I mean, I know this is pretty superficial, but there’s no way I want to be a grey-haired preggy, or a grey-haired mother for that matter. I just dye my hair and the unsightly problem is gone.

And since, in this universe there can be some pretty strange coincidences, during the week I was talking to my Chiropractor about the vitamins she has put me on [Juice*Plus]. These can take up to a month to have any effect and I asked her if any of her patients had reported back whether they had any noticeable changes with their skin or hair.

CHI: Well it’s funny but a couple have told me that they have noticed they have less grey hair.
S: How extraordinary

I think I might just keep taking it, maybe if I get the same reaction, I can fool my eggs that I’ve still got spring in my Fertility step!

5 Comments:

At March 11, 2006 10:35 am , Blogger Mony said...

Really? No way!
What about all the smarty fertile people with grey hairs?
I am as infertile as a mongrel....and not a grey hair on my head.
Oh, hang on a minute....I don't have any fallopian tubes. That's why I can't fall pregnant. D'oh!

PS: Needles in your nose? That's enough to give you grey hairs sweetie!

 
At March 11, 2006 10:58 am , Blogger ninaB said...

Good lord, now I have to worry about my hair too. My dad's like yours- 67 yrs old and has maybe a dozen grey hair.

 
At March 11, 2006 10:23 pm , Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Oh fuck! I have had grey hair since the age of 15. I am having a cut and colour today though. No grey granny hair for me!

 
At March 12, 2006 11:02 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your acupuncturist is helpful, but don't take every single word as gospel. The biological process that means your hair loses its pigment isn't related to the pituitary system that regulates fertility.

 
At March 15, 2006 12:25 pm , Blogger MC said...

I don' have any grey hairs, touch wood. I've got mouse coloured like my dad and he hasn't gone grey.

Good luck with the vitamins.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home